Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thankful


While I post a lot about how Ella fits in perfectly with our family and how only God could have orchestrated this, I frequently think about Ella's birth mother.  I often wonder what she looked like and how she faced the decision of giving Ella up for adoption.  I wish with everything in me that we would have had the chance to meet her and have a picture of her so that we could share with Ella when the time comes.  I wonder what I would have said to this precious woman who gave us a beautiful life.  I know that was all part of God's plan for us not to meet, but I frequently think of what would have been.

As we approach Thanksgiving this week and the holidays, I am beyond thankful for the selfless act of Ella's birth mother.  I am grateful that she chose to give Ella a better life and that better life involved us!

As I look at Ella and I watch her change and learn new things, I can't help but think of where she could be, what she could be doing if God hadn't called us to this.  As crazy as it was that God asked us, a family who had never once thought of adoption (let alone international adoption from Ethiopia), a family who knew there was poverty and many, many orphans in the world but didn't let it concern us, a family who was comfortable living the "American dream," a family who had their own plans but said "yes" to God when He asked us to care and called us to action.

The journey was not easy, the unknown was unbearable at times, but learning to trust my God was undeniably the BEST part of this journey! He knew what He was doing and I thank Him for trusting us and for calling us to step out in faith.  Oh the things we have learned about Him and about each other along the way are priceless!!!!

What are you not doing that God has called you to do? Are you afraid to step out in faith? Don't be - He knows what He wants you to do! Take the step and do it!

0 comments: